Site performance can affect how your readers and users use your site. Especially if they’re new to it. A repeat site visitor might let you know if there is a problem, whereas a new person will not only not let you know, they will usually not come back. Typically, you have only a couple of seconds to impress a new person coming to your website. If it doesn’t perform right every time, you will lose customers and potential customers.
5 Measures of Website Performance Worth Monitoring
- Site Speed – Perform regularly scheduled site speed tests to ensure that it loads very fast. Keep up to date on technology in case a plugin or something happens that enables you to make your site load even faster.
- Mobile Speed – Today, most people are accessing sites using their mobile devices, therefore, you must also check your mobile speed. Does the site load fast? Does everything work as it should easily for the mobile user?
- Webhost Issues – Sometimes web hosts have issues that cause problems for your site. If your site goes down a lot or loads slow, sometimes it’s a problem with the web host. Be sure that you are using a reputable web host with excellent customer service.
- Theme Problems – Another thing you need to be cognizant of is that sometimes, certain themes just don’t work well. They sometimes start out working fine but aren’t supporting the upgrades that WordPress does often. Whatever the issue, make sure you’re using a good theme that is updated often.
- Plugin Incompatibility – Every plugin doesn’t work on every theme, and every plugin doesn’t play nice with other plugins. But, it’s hard to know, therefore, always install one plugin at a time, then use the site for a while before you add another one – unless you already know they all play nice together.
3 Online Sites for Testing your Website Performance
- WebPageTest.org – This site you can test speed based on the browser using speeds your customers might connect to the site with. Plus, you can test transactions, videos, and you can get a diagnostic that includes suggestions for improvements.
- Pingdom.com – This company offers 24/7 monitoring of your site on all the issues that could cause problems such as uptime, speed, transaction monitoring, alerting, visitor insights, server monitoring, and so much more.
- Google Page Speed Insights – Google has its own free web performance tool that you can use to check the speed of your site. Just type in the URL and it will show you how the site does on mobile as well as PC. It will also give you advice on how to fix the issues, such as tell you that you need to compress the images you use.
Keeping tabs on your website performance will ensure that any visitor coming to your site can view it in a timely manner, answer your calls to action, and complete any transactions because the site works. Test each thing on a regular and scheduled basis. For best results, use a monitoring service.
- Stay with me – Every week I share new content related to content creation, business, and marketing. The easiest way not to miss anything is to join my weekly newsletter!
- Connect with a likeminded community – the FamilyPreneur™ Community is a great place to connect with other parents who are building businesses! Request to join, answer a couple easy questions (so we can ensure everyone in the group is legit), and I'll get you approved ASAP!