One way to build traffic is to allow the visitors to your site to do it for you. You can do that by including at least one social sharing plugin that gives your audience a one-button-click way to share your content.
What is a Plugin?
A plugin is really a program or application or software that adds functionality to a WordPress or other type of site builder. For this article’s purposes, we are discussing only WordPress plugins. You can find approved plugins at the WordPress.org website. Anything you want your site to do that it can’t do now is something that plugin might fulfill. Just search for ideas.
How to Install a Plugin?
Installing a plugin is not difficult but always read the directions. For the most part, you can install any plugin from your dashboard in a few clicks. Then you can set up the new plugin via your dashboard too. Sometimes, a plugin may require upgrading and paying to get it to work fully.
Which Plugins Should I Get?
Here are a few plugins that might work for you. Before using the plugin, read all the information and details about it. Ensure that it’s been kept up to date and that it will work with your version of WordPress, plus that your theme will work with the plugin, and that it plays nice with the other plugins you already have.
You don’t need two plugins that do the same thing. You really want fewer plugins than more plugins. Therefore, think about the functionality you want, and find one that does it. Don’t add more than one at a time. Add one plugin, and then check out your site and make sure everything works before adding another.
For social sharing, there are many plugins. These are some favorites.
- Shared Counts – This plugin will let you automatically insert buttons before and after a blog post or “post” content. Any content you put on the blog page will be considered a post page. You’ll use a shortcode to insert them.
- Yoast – Yoast is a very powerful plugin that will do a lot for your site including helping you improve all your SEO and not just social sharing. It’s a good choice of a plugin that works, stays updated, and offers a lot of functionality that you need for good SEO.
- Add This – This is a free option that provides a lot of share buttons, follow buttons, enables list building, and more. You want to check this one out if you have a small budget since it’s free. It still works well and will do what you need.
- Shareaholic – This free plug in allows you to add social share buttons, as well as link to other content under your posts. You'll notice on the bottom of each of my page posts you'll see additional blog content you may be interested in – that's all Shareaholic! Plus, you could choose to allow Shareaholic to display ads on your site as well, and monetize that way. Personally, I did not like the quality of ads displayed so I chose to keep it all my content!
These sharing buttons help your audience share your content easier. You can even share it easy by using the buttons too after each time you publish new content. Don’t forget to include a call to action to your audience to click the “button” below or above. People become blind to buttons and banners if you don’t point them out.
- Stay with me – Every week I share new content related to content creation, business, and marketing. The easiest way not to miss anything is to join my weekly newsletter!
- Connect with a likeminded community – the FamilyPreneur™ Community is a great place to connect with other parents who are building businesses! Request to join, answer a couple easy questions (so we can ensure everyone in the group is legit), and I'll get you approved ASAP!