Sponsored By My brand new children's book: ABCs of Business!
Pixel is a fuzzy friend who will take you and your child on an alphabetical adventure through discovering what it means to be an entrepreneur. The alphabet may start at “A”, but Pixel's story does not! You'll start at “I” and read through each letter to explore 26 entrepreneurial concepts in a fun and easy to understand story format. In the end, each FamilyPreneur will feel empowered and ready to impact the world in their own unique way! Click to learn more!
I remember back 2 1/2 years ago, leaving Facebook, I thought that I'd be happy being a behind the scenes person – I HATED the spotlight. I would run Facebook Ads and be the secret weapon that people talk about, but never see… I don't know what it was exactly that changed – but I started attending conferences to learn from, and something about the stage called me. So a couple months after establishing my own business I decided to start putting myself out there – but MAN did I get nervous.
Would I talk to fast? Stumble over my words? Teach something too basic? Or too advanced? Would I have to wear heels and lose 50 lbs (or more!). These are the thoughts that made my palms sweat and my mind believe that I was not ready – that I was not qualified to be a speaker.
Then, I had a mentor push me – I needed that push – and slowly but surely I got more comfortable… and I learned what I needed to BE comfortable. Because the truth is, I still get nervous – very much so! But, I have been able to find the tricks that work for me:
- Anytime I am speaking at a conference I arrive one day before – and leave one day after. I need that extra time of calm between the anxiety of travel and the rush of speaking.
- I pack my oils – yup, I said it! I pack up a diffuser and selection of my Young Living oils that I know will help me relax the night before, and keep the stress away the day-of.
- If flying, I pack all my speaking supplies in my CARRY ON – I will tell you the story of missing luggage another time!
- I stay hydrated – but stop drinking 30 mins before the presentation and use the restroom about 10 mins before 😉
- I find a private place to jam out to some empowering music before I speak.
- Then, I do some breathing exercises anytime I need them
Those are just some of my personal tricks – it's all about learning what YOUR body needs to channel that nervous energy into a powerful stage presence. Now, it's a rush that I enjoy… and I'm so grateful that I didn't let my nerves keep me from this growth.
Head over to the FamilyPreneur community and let me know – are you thinking about becoming a speaker in your field? What are your questions or concerns? And if you're already a professional speaker – jump into the group and share your best tips for speaking with everyone!
Meg Brunson has been marketing to moms for nearly a decade. After leaving her corporate job at Facebook in 2017 to be a more present mom to her 4 daughters, she founded EIEIO Marketing; a digital marketing agency focused on Facebook Marketing for family-first businesses.
Through highly targeted, results-driven, Facebook Ads she's delivered results for her clients that include: doubling their lead volume, generating 62% more sales than the in-house team, attaining a 16x return on ad spend, and reducing the cost per lead by 99%!
After helping her daughter launch her first business, Storytime With Kiki, at the age of 10, Meg began hosting the FamilyPreneur Podcast: an interview-style podcast for parent entrepreneurs, raising entrepreneurial children.