Today we're joined by a passionate advocate for youth all over the world. Her first book, “Kids of Divorce,” includes eleven short stories told from youth across the planet, sharing their soul experiences of their parents’ divorce, and gifting their wisdom to other families going through it. Other books in progress include, “The African American Kid” and “Kids of Religion.” PLUS she is currently filming the “Kids Soul Speak” documentary film, delivering messages of unity, love and understanding to our youth. I am excited to welcome the Founder and CEO of Kids Soul Speak, Danielle Henderson!
Dani shares about the impact of divorce on families.
- 50% of all marriages end in divorce, and the rate is even higher for military families.
- Part of the problem is that we live in a culture of wanting things immediately instead of being willing to put in the time to do the work.
- Parents may claim that they know what their children are going through, but their pain cannot be underestimated.
- Children don’t want to inflict guilt on their parents, so they often hesitate to be honest.
- Soul Speak is a collection of stories of children ages 10-19 who share their perspective of divorce.
Dani shares her inspiration for using divorce as the first topic
- She was motivated by the experience of her own children after her divorce.
- She recognized the physical display of a heartbroken child and felt the weight of his loss.
- The more we try to keep our children away from the other parent, the more harm we can be inflicting on the child (when it is safe to be with that parent).
- Her own emotions caused her to want to keep the kids separated.
- She realized that regardless of what had happened between her and her husband, her children truly needed mom and dad.
- Finding male and female role models is critical for a child’s development.
- She was able to reconnect in the same country as her ex husband after his second round of battling cancer.
- This allowed them to really get to know their father and form their relationship with him.
Dani shares advice for anyone who is on the brink of divorce or beginning that journey.
- It’s important to start with truly paying attention to your children.
- You can start by demonstrating respect and not talking about the other parent negatively in front of the children.
Dani shares that her book “Kids of Divorce” is actually meant for parents and children of divorce.
- The book tells the story from the children’s perspective of what it’s like to be in the middle of the tension.
- In one family, different children can have an entirely different perceptions of the experience.
- She shares the story of a family who didn’t navigate divorce perfectly, but when they showed up for their children, they empowered them to accept their new normal.
Dani shares what other plans she has in store for this brand.
- They are in the middle of filming a documentary with kids, thought leaders, educators, and doctors who contribute their experience to different topics.
- The film shares perspective from kids of different races and religion.
- She removes the adults from the conversation and allows the kids to engage in honest and courageous discussions.
- There are a lot of famous influencers in the film, some of whom she won’t reveal yet because they are that good!
Dani shares a little about how her children are doing now.
- Her daughter is studying law.
- Her son is a guitarist who write ballads.
- She has one son who is still at home and preparing to “launch”.
- They still are establishing their boundaries and establishing themselves.
- She’s not ready for the imminent empty nest and know she will miss all the things that have driven her crazy about her kids over the years.
Meet Dani Henderson
“Kids Soul Speak” is a universal platform for our global youth to share their personal stories of change, loss, magic, healing and beauty.
Danielle Henderson is the Founder and CEO of Kids Soul Speak who passionately advocates for our youth all over the world by supporting their voices being heard and helping them to understand their value and self-leadership.
Her first book is “Kids of Divorce,” which is eleven short stories told from youth across the planet, sharing their soul experiences of their parents’ divorce, and gifting their wisdom to families going through it.
Other books are in the writing phase, including “The African American Kid” and “Kids of Religion.” Danielle is currently filming the “Kids Soul Speak” documentary film about educators, kids, teens, celebrities and global thought leaders who deliver their messages of unity, love and understanding to our youth.
Find Dani Henderson
About The Host
Meg Brunson has been marketing to moms for nearly a decade. After leaving her corporate job at Facebook in 2017 to be a more present mom to her 4 daughters, she founded EIEIO Marketing; a digital marketing agency focused on Facebook Marketing for family-first businesses.
Through highly targeted, results-driven, Facebook Ads she's delivered results for her clients that include: doubling their lead volume, generating 62% more sales than the in-house team, attaining a 16x return on ad spend, and reducing the cost per lead by 99%!
After helping her daughter launch her first business, Storytime With Kiki, at the age of 10, Meg began hosting the FamilyPreneur Podcast: an interview-style podcast for parent entrepreneurs, raising entrepreneurial children.