Affiliate marketing is a common way to begin monetizing your blog. Affiliate marketing involves endorsing products and linking to them on your blog. If someone makes a purchase from your link, you earn a commission. Perhaps the most widely used and popular affiliate program is Amazon Associates. That’s because there is such a wide selection of items available there, that you’re sure to find ones that fit with your blog’s content and your personal values. In addition, millions of people are already using Amazon for their regular purchases, it makes sense that they would be comfortable clicking on your link to buy the item. Take a look below to learn more about the Amazon Associates program, its benefits, and how to get started promoting Amazon affiliate products on your blog.
About Amazon Associates
Amazon’s affiliate program is called Amazon Associates. It’s free to become an Associate. The program allows you to advertise products sold on Amazon on your website or blog and then earn a commission when visitors make a purchase from your unique link. It’s a great option for newbies to affiliate marketing because you can get started right away and don’t have to create your own products or services.
Benefits of the Program
Amazon Associates offers a host of other benefits. Because everyone is familiar with Amazon and so many people are already using the site on a regular basis, it doesn’t take much of a stretch to convince your website visitors to click on your links. If they like what they see, there’s a good chance they’ll buy it. You can get nearly anything on Amazon. That means it will likely be quite easy to find products to promote on your blog. The key is promoting items that fit with the theme of your blog and that resonate with your audience. You can even get credit for the items you’re already buying. In fact, it’s usually best if you’ve tried the items you promote on your blog so that you can stand behind them enthusiastically.
How It Works
Amazon Associates works by allowing you to place affiliates links to products you wish to promote directly into your blog. A unique tracking code is generated for each product, and you simply place that code on your blog where you want it to appear. When users click on that link and make a purchase, a commission is added to your Amazon Associates account. You can display links in a variety of ways on your blog.
Text only links are good for placing within posts to a keyword that flows naturally within a sentence. You can also add image links or text and image links if you want to display an eye-catching photo within your post or in your sidebar. A widget link is also a possibility, and this option lets you showcase a variety of products you would like to promote to your readers. It’s even possible to customize things like background color, image size, and title color before placing links in your blog.
Once you get a link set up and customized the way you like it, you simply place the generated code where you’d like to see it on your blog platform. It’s quite simple once you get the hang of it. Commissions increase with the more items you successfully convert to sales each month. You can check your progress in your Associates dashboard.
Follow the Rules
Amazon has a couple rules that they take very seriously. If you violate these rules you could be prohibited from joining the program again.
- Do NOT use Amazon's affiliate links in emails. They should only be placed on your blog/website.
- You also can NOT use Amazon affiliate links in eBooks or PDFs. ONLY on your blog/website.
- Make sure your website/blog has valuable content BEYOND ads and affiliate links.
- I love PrettyLinks, but Amazon wants you to use the links they supply ONLY. So no Pretty Links/Bit.ly/etc. Don't alter/shorten/cloak the links you get from Amazon.
- You should not buy from your own affiliate links – or request friends/family to use your link.
- You can not run paid ads (like Facebook Ads) to affiliate links.
- Don't talk about price – Amazon prices fluctuate and there are often “New” and “Used” prices – because the rules get sticky, I recommend simply avoiding talking about the price – let readers see the price when they click the link.
- You can not offer any incentives for buying from your link – sometimes you see this with digital products, but it's not allowed with Amazon.
- You must have activity in 180 days (6 months) or your account will be disabled for inactivity – so I would hold off until you have some steady traffic to start. That being said, you can always reapply at any time!
There are certainly more than 10 rules… you should read through the agreement terms – but I wanted to highlight some of those rules so you have an idea of what you're getting into here!
Amazon Associates is a program that many bloggers take advantage of for monetizing their blog. It’s easy, convenient, and has the potential to convert quite well due to Amazon’s popularity. Give it a try and don’t be afraid to engage in a little bit of trial and error to see what works best for you and your audience.
- Stay with me – Every week I share new content related to blogging, business, and marketing. The easiest way not to miss anything is to join my weekly newsletter!
- Connect with a likeminded community – the FamilyPreneur™ Community is a great place to connect with other parents who are building businesses! Request to join, answer a couple easy questions (so we can ensure everyone in the group is legit), and I'll get you approved ASAP!